Well I spent my first weekend of Christmas break in Strasbourg, France which is right on the border of Germany so there is a lot of German that is spoken there too, which was really interesting to hear. Anyways, the reason why I went to Strasbourg is because it has these really cool Christmas markets and there is le grand sapin de Noël and lots of decorations. It was a lot of fun just walking around and exploring what Strasbourg has to offer. I have been to Strasbourg before but that was like almost 7 years ago and it was during the summer time. There isn’t too too much to tell so this blog I think will mostly be pictures. I just did a lot of walking and I took a ton of pictures!
Vendredi le 16 décembre:
Well today I got ready for leaving for Strasbourg in the afternoon. I got to the train station super early but I didn’t want to be running late and be stressed out about things. Public transportation is great but it isn’t always reliable. The train ride went fine and we got into Strasbourg right on time. I then found the hotel that I was staying at rather easily. It was a 3 minute walk from the train station and not too far from the center of town. When I first got there the markets were closed because of really bad wind. And let me tell you, it was really bad wind! It was also raining so I was using my umbrella and the wind killed it. But anyways, I got my room and the people at the front desk were very nice and helpful and my room was nice and clean and small but for just me I don’t need something huge. There was also a bathroom in my room which was super nice (one is not always guaranteed a private bathroom in European hotels). I did eventually go out and walk around a bit but it was just way too windy to stay out and enjoy anything, also all the markets were closed for the day so I didn’t have too much to do that evening. I did stop at a sandwich place though and pick up a sandwich for dinner while I was out and about. I also stopped in this church called St. Pierre le Jeune, it was really pretty but there was one room that was super creepy with all these angel statues and I felt like I should have been in Doctor Who where there are those weeping angels (I think that is what they are called) that are super creepy. Therefore I left that little sanctuary room rather quickly.
St. Pierre le Jeune really pretty but at the same time kind of eerie
Inside the big sanctuary (the little sanctuary with the creepy angels was behind the wall in the front, I didn’t take any pictures in there, I was too weirded out)
There were a ton of beautiful paintings on the inside of the church it was rather colorful
Le Grand Sapin at night
So I didn’t stay out very long because of the crazy weather and so I just hung out in my room at the hotel. It wasn’t super exciting and I felt like Amanda Woods in the movie The Holiday when she first arrives in England and has no idea what to do with herself. But hopefully the weather will be better on Saturday.
Samedi le 17 décembre:
Well today I got up and pretty much spent the whole day outside roaming around les marchés and Strasbourg. The weather was very nice today, it was really cold but there was no rain and no wind so I didn’t mind too much. So here are some pictures of what I did in the morning, in the afternoon I went back to the hotel to warm up since I had been out all morning and hadn’t been inside once.
The city of Strasbourg
The streets of Strasbourg
Les marchés by the cathedral
The big cathedral which is very ornate
Inside the cathedral
The very cool clock at the cathedral (My family and the Medinas should remember this)
Walking around Strasbourg (I don’t know if this is typical but the water was very high)
Restaurant all decorated for Noël
I then made my way back to the hotel and hung out in my room for a little while to warm up since it was so cold out. Afterwards I headed back out but this time I went to go check out the area of Strasbourg called La Petite France, which is a very cute little area of town.
Heading over to La Petite France (also I just love this picture with the sun shining)
Still making my way over to La Petite France
Finally made it over to La Petite France, it is a rather cute area
Another pretty view of Strasbourg
I then headed back to the hotel but first I stopped at a boulangerie and picked up a very yummy slice of quiche lorraine. It was delicious! I then headed back out to check out the Christmas tree at night since it wasn’t crazy windy. There happened to be a drumline like concert going on so I stood around with the rest of the crowd and watched the end of it.
Strasbourg at night
Le Grand Sapin at night, it is rather pretty
Me in front of le Grand Sapin
I then just hung out in my room that night and talked with my family via facetime and eventually went to bed so I could get up and be ready for another day of exploring Strasbourg and les marchés de Noël.
Dimanche le 19 décembre:
Well I got up and got ready for the day. I then headed out and checked out some more of the markets. By the end of the day I had made it to all the Christmas markets that Strasbourg had to offer, which is a good thing because I was leaving Monday morning.
All the options in ornaments one could buy at the markets
Christmas decorations galore!
Looking at the cathedral from down the street
Later in the morning they had Christmas Carols going on by the Grand Sapin so I joined in on those and that was a lot of fun getting to sing Christmas songs in French. I just wandered around for the afternoon looking at things and enjoyed a vin chaud along with a jus d’orange chaud.
These are a popular treat at Noël in Strasbourg, I think they are called bons hommes (they are kind of like a sweet bread but shaped like a gingerbread man, some have chocolate chips in them)
Also I forgot to mention, big soft pretzels are very popular over here, except they call them bretzels (which I guess is the German word for pretzel). You could find them everywhere.
Later in the evening I went to a musical of the Nativity scene at the cathedral in the center. It was very well done and it was kids that were performing in it. Afterwards I walked around a bit to check out the lights at night since it was my last night in Strasbourg.
Musical of the Nativity scene
Christmas lights in Strasbourg
Walking around Strasbourg at night
Buildings all decorated and lit up for Noël
Looking at all the lights in Strasbourg
On my way back, I happened upon a concert by the Christmas tree so I stopped and listened
Lundi le 19 décembre:
Well today I got up and got ready to go home. When I left the hotel I saw that there was snow on the roofs! That was the only snow that was there but I still got rather excited. I took train back to Paris and that went fine for the most part except for the ticket guy chewing me out in French about how a student id is not a form of identification and since I am a foreigner I need a passport. Well, I foolishly didn’t think I would need to bring it with me since I wasn’t leaving the country so I left it in Paris. But there was nothing I could do about it at that point. Now that I think about it he pry just wanted to get his anger out on someone and I was the lucky winner. But all went fine and I made it back to Paris safe and sound. While on the ride home I did get to see snow and more than just a little dusting left over on the roofs! It was so amazing seeing the French countryside covered in snow and huge forests with big evergreens completely white. It was a bummer that I didn’t get to share this awesome experience with anyone but I still had fun going out on my own and seeing more of what France has to offer.
Wow it sounds like you had a great time! I love the pictures! Love you
ReplyDeleteI did have a nice time! Bises!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are beautiful like postcards!!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Well, Strasbourg is really pretty as you know!
ReplyDelete