You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Le mois de septembre

The last place I left you off at was school, that is not super exciting but I thought a good little description of my life at school would be nice for those of you who were curious about the studying that I do in Paris.  So here are some highlights of what I have done because my putting up my daily life would not be that interesting because it isn’t always that fun and interesting.  Anyways here are some of the more interesting highlights of what I have been up to lately:

Le 26 septembre:
Not a very good day to say the least, tears were involved while walking down the middle of the street, the Parisians pry thought I was a crazy person.  And that is what I am going to leave it at.  It wasn’t that thrilling of a day anyways, just a lot of disappointment.

Le 27 septembre:

Today I went with Kacey to my bénévolat (service learning/volunteering) at a place called Etincelles.  We got out of class at 5pm and took the metro to get to the 20e arrondissement to meet up with Shelley and another girl in our program, Lauren.  It took us forever to get there!!  Oh my goodness!  We were so late to the meeting!  But that is ok because there was really nothing we could do about it.  We met Vincent who is in charge of the kids programs and he seems really cool!  It was mostly just a meeting to hear what this place is all about.  They do a lot of stuff for the community like an after school program for the kids to help them with homework.  Kacey and I are going to be helping out with the middle schoolers on Tuesday evenings for an hour and half.  It should be a lot of fun and an awesome way to use my French!  I was really excited about my bénévolat and was looking forward to helping the kids out a week from that Tuesday.  We then went home and I met this guy at the foyer from the Chicagoland area so that was kind of cool!

Le 28 septembre:

Went to the Opéra Garnier with my program that evening and saw a ballet!  We were way up in the nose bleeds but it was still a lot of fun to see the ballet!  However, it was so hot in there!  Oh my goodness, I brought a sweater foolishly thinking that I might be cold but I never once needed it!  We actually saw two different short ballets and the first one was really bizarre (Phèdre).  It was kind of modern like and I had no clue what the story line was at all!  I was so confused the entire time!  The dancing was very good but I just didn’t enjoy it.  Then there was intermission and after intermission it was a new ballet (Psyché), this one was more traditional in their costumes and dancing and the story line was easier to understand.  I really enjoyed that one and it was fun to watch.  Once the ballet was done some people went out to eat but I went home so I could go to bed since I had class bright and early the next morning.
Me infront of the Opéra

Inside the Opéra! It was so hot in there!!

Le 29 septembre:

I got a call from Mom saying that Maissie IS COMING TO PARIS in February!!!!  That was the best part of my day and the most exciting thing that happened.

Le 30 septembre:

So it was exactly a month ago today that I got on a plane and left for France!  I cannot believe how quickly time is passing here!  It just boggles my mind that I left a month ago and was so nervous about going on my own!  I was also so nervous about when I got to Paris and having to take the metro and now I am a pro at the metro, it is not that hard to get to places and it is rather convenient.  I am also learning how the bus system works and know my bus line a lot better than the first day I took it.  Not too much to report from today.  I found an awesome deal though!  I found a presse that sells 20 postcards for 3,50€! Now that was an awesome deal!  I wrote all my postcards but now I have to mail them! Lol!

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I will start putting up posts about October! Maybe I will get them all up while in the month of October! Let's keep our fingers crossed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great at the Opera! Too bad that it was hot in there. I look forward to hearing about October!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures!! Looking forward to hearing about October. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool that you will be working with Middle Schoolers!! Let us know how that goes!! That is soooo cool that you saw two ballets at the Opera!! I'm sorry you didn't like the first one! I give a :) to september 29th's post! :) Love you! Can't wait to see you <3

    ReplyDelete