Samedi le 1er octobre:
So I got up today with the intentions of not doing very much. I woke up kind of late and threw a load of laundry in since I decided it was time to finally do some laundry! I was just chilling in my room not doing much of anything when I get a call from Jeanne Fellowes! She lives in Paris with her husband and is one the nicest people I have ever met and is so easy to talk to! Now you may be wondering how do I know Jeanne? Well, my Mom knows a lady a work whose husband takes care of the mother of Jeanne’s husband. Yeah, it is one of those kinds of situations lol! She asked me if I wanted to go to lunch sometime soon and I said why not today?! So we decided to meet at Café Madeline at 12h30. My laundry took forever to dry so I was running a little late. When I get to the bus stop the sign said the bus would arrive in 3 minutes, it then changed and said it would be arriving in 25 minutes!!! I only had 15 minutes to get there! I called Jeanne to explain to her that I would be late and that the bus is being stupid today she said that I should hop on the metro at Gare Saint-Lazare and can get there easily. So I start walking to the train station (which is gare in French for those of you who don’t speak French.). I get there, hop on and am only 10 minutes late!! We had a delicious lunch and just talked about all kinds of different things for about an hour and a half. She then had to go home and prepare a dish for a party she would be attending on Sunday. I got back to my foyer and got absolutely NOTHING done! But that is ok. I had dinner with Wen, a girl from the foyer and then we went out to the Hôtel de Ville area for Nuit Blanche. Now you may be wondering, what exactly is this Nuit Blanche business? Well, every year in the month of October there is one night where the city is open ALL night long with special exhibits all around the city. When we got to the Hôtel de Ville area Wen’s friend met up with us and we decided that we were going to go check out some stuff. When we got to some of the exhibits we wanted to go see the lines to get in were crazy long!! You would pretty much be standing in line for 2 hours to see about 5 minutes of something (ok, so I may be exaggerating a bit but it was still a little crazy!). We didn’t really see too much of anything. I had a taste for some ice cream and so did Wen’s friend. We weren’t too far from Ile Saint Louis, which has Berthillon’s, which is the best ice cream in all of Paris! So we headed over there and got some ice cream. I got a scoop of framboise (raspberry) sorbet and it was delicious! So worth every penny! There was a church that was open and was having an organ concert for Nuit Blanche, we stopped in but didn’t stay too long. When we were outside the church I got a phone call from Mom and Maissie! That was a really pleasant surprise! We talked for a bit but not too long because I was out and didn’t want to be on my phone for too long. After we were done talking on the phone I looked for Wen and her friend in the church and we decided to leave. They were going to go see some other stuff but I was rather tired so I took the metro home (and man oh man was it crowded!).
Dimanche le 2 octobre:
Got up today and finished my laundry, attempted to work on homework before eating some lunch but I wasn’t too successful. After eating some lunch down in the kitchen I headed back up to my room. I checked my phone when I got into my room and saw that I got a call from a 630 area code. When I saw that I thought who in carnation is calling me from home at 3:00am their time?! I listened to the message and it was Germaine! She had arrived in Paris and was wondering if I wanted to have some dinner with her and her friends! I was so excited! I called her back right away and said I would love to have dinner and whatnot! We decided that the best way would be for me to come to her hotel and we can then find a place to eat from there. When it was time for me to leave I just hopped on the metro and made it to the stop with no problems whatsoever. I then found the right street but had some difficulty finding the hotel! I walked right past it and kept going for quite a while until I realized that I had gone too far. I turned around and finally found this hotel! It wasn’t too far from the Eiffel Tower, I was quite impressed! It is also right across the street from the Statue of Liberty so that was really cool! I walk into the lobby of the hotel and there is Germaine sitting on a couch waiting. It was SO NICE to see a familiar face from home! (Now you may be wondering how I know this lady that is visiting Paris. Well she is my Mom’s chiropractor and friend and I have known her forever really). She gave me a big hug and said bonjour! I didn’t realize how much I missed hugs until I got one because here in France they don’t give hugs, on fait la bise (which is when you give the kisses on the cheeks). I like doing that too but it is nice to get a hug every once in a while too! I went up to her room and got to see Renée (who works with Germaine so I know her) and Germaine’s two other friends, Kris and Joan. They were going on a Trafalgar “whirlwind” tour of France. I crashed their meeting that they had. When I was sitting there listening to the lady who will be their tour guide it made me think of the movie “My Life in Ruins.” It made me laugh. After the meeting we (being the five of us) walked around to find a restaurant, I knew we were going to have some difficulties finding one open because it was like 5pm and no French person eats at that early of an hour. Thankfully they aren’t that far from the Eiffel Tower so as we got closer to it there were restaurants that were open for the tourists. I had a yummy poulet rôti. Someone ordered pizza and had two left over slices and they were going to ask for a doggie bag for me. I told them though that from what I have found France doesn’t do doggie bags. So I took a napkin off of another table and wrapped it up in that (don’t worry it was a paper napkin). They were exhausted because their flight had just got in earlier that day so I walked them back to their hotel. I went up to Germaine’s room and got my bag of goodies from my Mom! It was a rather big bag full of all the things that I asked for. It was like Christmas morning (which is good because I won’t get a Christmas morning this year). I had to lug this messenger bag FULL of stuff on a 30 minute metro ride with transfers but I didn’t mind one bit! When I got back to my foyer I was so giddy and it was so much fun opening up all the goodies that were in the bag! There were two HUGE jars of Skippy Chunky Peanut Butter (my favorite!). I was so glad because I was running low on my little jar and most of my dinners consist of a pb&j. If I haven’t said it enough, THANK YOU SO MUCH Germaine and Renée for carrying my stuff in their suitcases and Mom for putting together everything that I wanted. I am VERY VERY blessed and thankful to have family and friends back home who are willing to go to such lengths for me!
Lundi le 3 octobre:
Today I had my Central class that Shelley teaches on Monday afternoons. Ang and I were presenting over an article that we had to read and that went fine. We went to the CROUs for lunch with Kacey and then did our presentation. After class I took the bus home but decided to get off at Place de la Concorde and walk up to the Arc de Triomphe and then cut through Parc Monceau to get home. Well it was a very long and hot walk! Oh my goodness! I thought my arms that were carrying my messenger bag and purse were going to fall off! It was nice but super hot! I was super tired when I got back but I had to go to Franprix (grocery store) and get some much needed groceries. I ate dinner alone and realized that I really don’t have any friends and am starting to wonder if I will really ever make friends here. However, God is always amazing and always reminds me that it is His timing and not mine so I just need to be patient. It is just hard because back home I have friends to hang out with and can communicate with them easily and here I have to put forth all the efforts and communicate and find things to talk about in a language that I am still learning.
Mardi le 4 octobre:
Had class today which went fine. Then went to my bénévolat and that was a lot of fun! I really like working with those kids and I was so nervous beforehand that they would make fun of my French and tear me apart because well let’s be honest they are middle schoolers and don’t live in the nicest neighborhood in Paris. But it went great! They were nice and I never felt uncomfortable or anything of that sort. Still figuring out the friend situation at this point. Still waiting and hoping that I will find some friends.
Mercredi le 5 octobre:
Had class and that is really it. More so getting into the hum-drum of life. There is a saying in French which is “métro, boulot, dodo” which translates into English “metro, work, bed” and today was one of those kind of days but that is ok because then it means I am becoming less touristy and more of a local.
Jeudi le 6 octobre:
Had class today and went to the CROUs for lunch. It wasn’t very exciting. But in the evening our program had a wine atelier and that was super fun! I took the metro and got there in plenty of time. We had this wine class where we learned about different types of wines and if you learn about them well you have to taste them. So we tasted four different types of wines. I really liked all of them but for different reasons. We tried a white wine, and two red wines (one was Beaujolais and the other was Bourgogne). We then tried Champagne. It was so interesting to learn about the different types and to taste test the wines like how the professionals do it. We took notes on each one and it was just super fascinating. To say the least I am definitely my parents’ daughter. I took the metro home and didn’t get back until 21h00 and so I was starving and was in much need of some food in my stomach. I then just hung out in my room before going to bed.
Vendredi le 7 octobre:
Today I got up really early even though I don’t have classes but that was so that I could talk to my friend Britt. It was 6am my time but 11pm her time. It was so great getting to talk to her and see what is going on in her life back at school and whatnot. We talked for about an hour and then she had to go to bed. I eventually got ready and just hung out in my room before going to the CROUs for lunch. I was going to take the bus there and everything was going fine until we get to the stop at Madeline and the bus driver announces that the last stop will be at Place de la Concorde! That is the next stop and still leaves me far away from the CROUs! So I got off at Madeline and searched for the closest metro and jumped on. I was supposed to eat with Kacey but told her to eat without me because it was going to take me a while to get there. I finally made it to the CROUs and had some lunch. I then headed back to my foyer and stopped at the post office to check something out for my mom. I then stopped in this boulangerie called Maison Kayser and got a really yummy chocolate muffin like thing. It was much needed after a day of transportation not working when I wanted it to! I was just hanging out in my foyer being bored so I texted Kacey and asked her if she wanted to do something. We decided to meet at the Louvre at 17h00 and we had a lot of fun and of course it cost us nothing with our Catho student ids!
| A painting by Alfred Sisley (I did a project on him in my French class in high school and fell in love with his work ever since). |
| I know Mom, I was just as surprised as you were when I found out that they had Monet paintings in the Louvre! I do love his art work though! |
Sorry for all the changes in font! I have no idea what happened or how to fix it! You can still read it though! I really am sorry, I don't know what I did wrong!
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading it, didn't notice font issue. Pictures were fantastique as always. Glad you are no longer feeling like a tourist. You will be a true Parisienne. Big hugs love Maman
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are making some friends even if you don't think so! That is so cool that you got some things from your friends back at school!! We will definitely have to go have some good chocolate!! and ice cream and pastries!! I love the pictures too!! Good job for just going out instead of going home! lol I can't wait to see you! You will have to buy that movie so that you can show it to me! Love you!
ReplyDelete