You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Classes at the Catho

So I started classes at l’Institute Catholique de Paris, otherwise called the Catho on September 27th.  It is the only private university in Paris and the campus is beautiful!  I have classes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and have Fridays off and have Shelley’s class on Monday afternoons.  My Tuesdays and Wednesdays are full days!  I have class from 9am to 5pm and get a 2 hour break for lunch which is good because I normally have to wait in a long line to get my food!  Anyways, you may be wondering what I am taking so here is what I have; I am taking two French language classes, a French phonétique (phonetics) class, a Français Ecrit class (a writing class) and Tourisme et Gastronomie (this last one is cool because we pretty much get credit for eating!).  I really like all my classes and my professors are all super nice.  Classes are a bit long and it is hard to concentrate, each class is 3 hours long and we get about a 5 or 10 minute break at the half way point.  But other than that it is really good.  The first day of classes I made it to them just fine and had no big issues finding where the buildings or classrooms were located.  My second day of classes I had a little adventure with Perry, he is a friend from Central who is also studying in Paris for the year.  We were going to our Français Ecrit class in the afternoon and made it to the classroom and the door was locked and there was a note by the door saying that during this hour the class was moved to a different building.  So we go to this other classroom and find a spot to sit and I realize that this is NOT the right class, the professor kept talking about phonetics and I put two and two together and figured out that it was a phonetics class and we were supposed to be in a writing class!  I leaned over and told Perry, who was sitting next to me, that we need to leave because this was not the right class.  We tell the professor that we are in the wrong class and leave.  We decide we should back to the original classroom and see if anyone is there and we start talking about that piece of paper next to the door.  (Let me just tell you, I didn’t see this piece of paper very well I was just going off of what Perry told me).  He said that the paper said mardi (Tuesday) from 14h-17h it would be in a different classroom, I started laughing and told Perry that today was mercredi (Wednesday) and not mardi (Tuesday)!  We found this rather funny and got a good laugh out of it!  We made it to the correct class and right as we walk in the professor is talking about how she is very big on punctuality!  What a great impression Perry and I made on the first day! Haha.  It made for a funny adventure though!  My classes other than that are going great!  They are all in French and are for students that are learning French as a foreign language so I have students from Colombia, Japan, Ukraine, and all over the world in my classes.  It is very cool.  I am hoping to learn a lot and improve my French a ton so hopefully these classes will help.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are enjoying your classes!! It is good that you can laugh at your adventure! I'm sure your French will improve it would be a huge surprise if it didn't! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to laugh and not stress out! Incroyable, enjoy eating for credit and take great notes to share!! Love you

    ReplyDelete