You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Becky in Paris! (Part 1)

Before Christmas break I was busy doing normal things like working, taking the métro, missing my last train for the night and having to frantically call up a friend to see if I could stay the night.  You know, the usual.  Haha, the last one is not something that I ever hope to happen again but I've learned my lesson.  Anyways,  I was extremely lucky to have one of my best friends from back home come and spend her two weeks of break with me!  I had such a wonderful time and am still amazed at how much we did during her time here.  It was a whirlwind of a vacation and I'm so glad that I got to spend it with Becky.

Sunday, December 22, 2013
Well, Becky's flight was to get in at 9:40am and I was going to go pick her up and then we would go to  the hotel to pick up our keys for the apartment we rented in the 15th.  Well, thankfully, I just happened to wake up at 5am and check my messages to see that I got one from my mom saying that Becky's flight would be arriving in Paris an hour early!!  I jumped out of bed and got ready and headed out to the airport.  I got to the airport and had a few minutes to spare before her flight landed.  I waited for quite some time but she finally arrived!  We took the RER and métro to get our keys and then go to our apartment and let me tell you, it was so many stairs!!  We were exhausted but then had to go out to where I live and get my bags.  And that was again, more stairs.  Every time we would come to another staircase, I would cringe on the inside a little.  We had a simple dinner, hung out and went to bed because Becky was tired.

Monday, December 23, 2013
We got up later than we wanted but got ready and headed out.  We found a grocery store and did some much needed grocery shopping.  We then had lunch and after that we headed over to Place de la Concorde to then walk around les marchés de Noël on the Champs-Elysées.

Becky & I at Place de la Concorde

Checking out the Christmas markets on the Champs-Elysées

We then headed over to Galeries Lafayette to check out the Christmas window displays but it was so crazy crowded that you couldn't even see anything.  For dinner we met up with Becky's cousin, who just happened to be in Paris the same time as her.  We went to the 4th to get some really good falafel.  After dinner, Becky and I stopped at the Eiffel Tower on our way home and took some pictures.

The Eiffel Tower at night 

Becky & I by the Eiffel Tower

Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Well we did some more grocery shopping since everything will be closed on Christmas.  We also picked up some other things that were needed.  Then we headed over to Place des Vosges to check out Victor Hugo's house.  It was interesting, not quite what I was expecting so a little disappointing but now I can say I've been there.

Some of Place des Vosges

We then attempted to get crêpes at my favorite place but it was closed so instead we just got something from a boulangerie and sat in the Luxembourg gardens.

 Becky enjoying lunch despite the cold weather

The Luxembourg Gardens

We then headed over to the catacombs but when we got there the line was really long and it was raining and a person that worked there said that after a certain point in the line the chances of getting in were low and we, of course, were after that point.  So we headed out and decided we'll try again another day.  We headed back to the apartment and on our way stopped at a café to get a chocolat viennois, which is a hot chocolate with whip cream.  It was nice to warm up inside after being out in the cold and the rain.  Once back in the apartment we just hung out and later headed over to Fauchon to see if we could find a certain champagne, Mercier, that one can't find in the US.  But it was unfortunately not there so the hunt was still on.  Anyways, we decided to stop by the Arc de Triomphe to take a few pictures.

Arc de Triomphe at night

Becky enjoying the Arc de Triomphe

We went back to the apartment and just relaxed and watched a Christmas movie while I did laundry before going to bed.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Merry Christmas!!  Today we mostly stayed in since everything was closed.  We watched Christmas movies, I did laundry, we ate, we got to FaceTime with our families and we even walked over to the Eiffel Tower for a bit since it was such a beautiful day out.

The Eiffel Tower

Ecole Militaire

Becky taking pictures

Becky & I at the Eiffel Tower

Les Invalides (some dark clouds were rolling in)

Our delicious bûche de Noël

Thursday, December 26, 2013
We had quite a busy day today despite the fact that we got up way later than we wanted because we didn't hear the alarm clock go off in the morning.  We headed over to the Basilique Saint Denis where all the kings are buried.  Becky is really interested in Marie-Antoinette and that time period in French history so that is one of the many reasons that we went there.  I vaguely remembering visiting it the first time I came to France with my family but it was nice to revisit.

Basilique Saint Denis (unfortunately they were doing restoration work on the outside)

Inside the Basilique de Saint Denis

The stained glass windows in Saint Denis

We found Marie-Antoinette

Some of the kings buried at Saint Denis

Later in the day we headed over to Les Invalides to check out where Napoleon is buried.  It only seems fitting since he like all the kings of France ruled the country.

Les Invalides

Becky & I excited to visit Les Invalides

Le cour des Invalides

The chapel at Les Invalides

Inside Les Invalides

We then popped on over to le Musée Rodin since it was so nice out and we still had plenty of time before it closed.  The gardens are also one of my favorite spots.

The Thinker at the Rodin Museum with Les Invalides in the background

Le Musée Rodin

The Rodin Museum with Les Invalides hiding in the back

The sunsetting while in the Rodin Museum

We then headed out to La Défense, an area outside of Paris with all the skyscrapers on the hunt for Mercier champagne because we found out that you can buy it at a grocery store out there.  It was a lot of fun because I had never been there before and there was a huge Christmas market that we checked out before heading over to the grocery store in the mall.

La Défense all decorated for Noël

La Grande Arche

Les marchés de Noël at La Défense

After shopping and whatnot we headed back to the apartment after a long day of running around Paris visiting the sites and we just relaxed.


2 comments:

  1. Love love love all the photos I am tired just reading about all the running around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I know, I felt like I was always so tired from all the running around we did but we did manage to squeeze in a few siestas, thankfully.

      Delete