You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Somewhat Busy First Week

Well, I have been in Paris for a week and have been busy with administrative like things.  I was able to get a métro pass, open a bank account and go to my school and meet the English teachers as well as the principal.  It still amazes me how much I have accomplished in this short amount of time.  I have also had a lot of free time and so I have been reading a lot (which is wonderful) in the local park near by and just exploring the city and the neighborhood I live in.  The 11th is a nice area in the fact that it isn't quite so touristy and it is mostly true working Parisians that live in this area.

So here are some of the highlights from this past week:

I found a cute little park that is not far from the place I am staying at and it has become one of my favorite spots to just sit and read or just watch the people walk by.

Square M. Gardette, one of my favorite spots in the area.

On Tuesday I went to the young adult group at the American Church in Paris and helped make the pizzas for pizza night.  I had a nice time and met some really nice people there.  On Wednesday, I went over to the Luxembourg gardens and went to the crêpe stand that is near there that has delicious things to eat.  I also went over to the gardens and just sat and enjoyed the park.  It was kind of funny to see all the tourists bustling about.
Enjoying the Luxembourg gardens like everyone else

I met up with Rachel, a girl who studied abroad in Paris on the Central program with me in the spring, on Wednesday evening at a place called Le Pure Café.  I had such a great time getting to talk with her and enjoy a glass of wine.  It was also really nice getting to see a familiar face in the city.  On Thursday, I headed over to Lycée Rabelais in the 18th where I will be an English assistant for the year and met the English teachers (except for one) and the principal.  Everyone seems really nice and willing to help out in any way that they can.  I am really looking forward to getting started and working with the kids.  On Friday I went back to the park I always go to and hung out there I also went to a café near me called Les Cent Kilos and had a café.  It was great just sitting there and watching the people walk by.
Enjoying an espresso (un café) and getting some much needed journaling done

On Saturday I met up with the Kleville family, which is a family I have been in contact with about possibly living with them for the year.  They were in Paris for the Protéstants en Fête, which is like a big conference type thing that only happens every four years in a different city in France for Protestants, and were doing things for that.  I hung out with them and went around to the different stands.  I then went with them back to their house in the south suburbs and hung out and had a lovely dinner.  I had such a great time and am going to be moving in with them later.  Today, I found out that my dear friend, Becky, is coming to Paris for her Christmas break and will be spending Christmas and New Years with me in Paris.  I was super excited when I found out that she is coming over.  I also went to church and afterwards explored around my neighborhood.  I was also able to Facetime with my parents and my grandparents.  It was so great getting to talk with them and I am really looking forward to my grandparents coming to Paris in October, it will be such a wonderful time!

Walking around the streets of the 11th

A very stereotypical looking French bakery that I came across in the 11th

St. Ambroise, a church that is near where I live



6 comments:

  1. Yay!! I am so glad you are enjoying you time in Paris!! It is great to hear about and see some of the things you have been up to! Tu me manques! Bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maissie! I am enjoying my time in Paris. It isn't always easy but it is sure worth it! Tu me manques! Bises

      Delete
  2. Love the pictures and the update. Glad to see you are getting a lot done but also taking time to enjoy the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! It has been nice to have time to explore.

      Delete
    2. I noticed on the picture of the boulangerie that the window on the left next door says "Envy Me", and I truly do envy you!!

      Delete
  3. Although these are nice pictures, I don't really miss Paris. I think I've become a countryside farmer! I just need advice from you on how to purchase "une vache de qualité" !

    ReplyDelete