You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Je suis arrivée!

For those of you that don't speak French the title means: I arrived! I have arrived in France and it is just as wonderful as the last time I was here.  I left from Chicago on Tuesday at 4:25pm heading towards Stockholm.  I was super nervous about traveling by myself and just going to France in general. I sat in the center isle of the plane next to a nice older couple, Pam and Larry, from St. Louis.  They were very sweet and this was their first time heading over to Europe.  They also happened to be Christians and it was just a nice way to spend 7 hours on a plane.  Unfortunately I did not sleep at all on that flight.  However, on my flight from Stockholm to Paris I spent quite a bit of time sleeping.  When we were landing in Paris I got to see an aerial view of the city and saw the Eiffel Tower.  It was very cool, to say the least.  Then my relatives Manu and Françoise picked me up at the airport.  It was really great to see some familiar faces.  When we were driving to their house we made a stop at a friends' house for un café.  To say the least, I can very much get used to this life style of sitting around and enjoying the company of others.  My relatives do not speak any English so this whole week that I have before I have to head over to Paris is really forcing me to use my French and really listen it will be all French all the time.  I am amazed at how much I understand when they are talking and I haven't even been here for a whole day.  My Mom called Françoise's cell phone right as we were pulling into my other relative's house, Gilberte.  It was quite nice to hear from my Mom and talk to her briefly before I headed into Gilberte's house.  We then finally made it to Françoise and Manu's house and I got to put my stuff up in a room, the whole second floor of their house is free for me to use this week since both of their sons have grown up and moved out.  The big drama for the week is that le boulangère (the baker) is on vacation which means that there won't be fresh bread and that is just sacrilege in France.  But all will be well.  It sounds as if I will be busy shopping and parties this week but I don't mind one bit.  Also I have made a new friend in France, Calline, Manu et Françoise's dog.  I am remembering how much I like France and I think that this year will be filled with many fun adventures.

3 comments:

  1. C'est dommage mais tu vas survivre quand meme. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You are now officially in France and enjoying the company of our cousins! I'm so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quel est dommage Maman? Le boulangère est en vacances? Je t'aime!

    Dad, I know it is exciting! They were asking if you guys were going to come out and I said next summer you would be coming. :)

    ReplyDelete