You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

How is it already February?

My goodness, the time is flying by here! I still can't believe that it is already February, where did the month of January go?? I am quickly realizing how short my time is left here in France.  I am so thankful to be here in France and am looking forward to all the adventures that lie ahead during my time left.  The month of January was filled with lots of ups and downs to say the least.  However, I'm so thankful that I have supportive friends here that make living in France all that much more wonderful.  The month of January was filled with lots of normal things like working and hanging out with friends.  Some highlights though are:

1. I joined a cooking class that meets once every two weeks.  I love it and the people in the class! It is a small class and I am by far the youngest in the class, everyone else is in their 60s or 70s (I think) and it is wonderful getting to hang out with them and make/eat such amazing food.  They welcomed me right in and made me one of the "gang."  It is just so much fun and I am always looking forward to the next session.

2. My two good friends, Olivia & Mary & I started doing a Bible study once a week and that has been such a blessing getting to hang out with such awesome ladies and discuss the important things in life.

3.  I went to la Fôret de Fontainebleau with Mary & Olivia and had a great time wandering around the forest (which is huge) and eating a lovely picnic out in nature despite the fact it was kind of cold.  We've decided to go back in the spring when it will hopefully be warmer.

Olivia & Mary walking along the path

It must be beautiful when everything is green and alive

The moss was so green

4.  I have one group of students that I just love seeing every other week.  They are seriously the best, they always brighten up my day and are such fun people to hang out with even if we don't always do what I planned and just talk instead.  (Disclaimer:  All my students are nice but sometimes some are just more fun to work with than others.)

5.  Having an OFII appointment and getting my sticker in my passport that says I can stay in the country legally until my visa expires.  Also I got to hang out with Olivia & Ryan that day and it was such a great time just hanging out not doing much of anything.

6.  Having some good laughs with my friend, Rébécca, while helping her write up her resume and cover letter in English.  I hadn't laughed that hard in a while and let me tell you we laughed pretty hard.

7.  Visiting le Musée du Quai Branly.  I had never been there before and it was really interesting and such fun getting to talk with Mary while discovering art from all around the world (i.e. masks for yams from Papa New Guinea {At least that is where I think they were from, I don't really remember}).  We didn't even see all of it so I'll have to go back.

8.  Eating tacos at a little Mexican restaurant in Paris with friends.  I know, I live in Paris and should be eating French food.  But it can be expensive and it is nice to have some food from home.

9.  Spending my really long break between classes on Fridays at my favorite little café in the 11th drinking espresso, reading, and watching the people walk by.  It doesn't get much better than that.

I am looking forward to what is in store for the month of February.  I know that it is going to fly by as well seeing as I only have 2 weeks of classes and then the last 2 weeks I have winter break and am going to be spending the first week in Avignon and the second week Maissie will be here!!

2 comments:

  1. Life really is good, glad you are able to find highlights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, life is good despite the difficulties that I've had to face. January wasn't too bad of a month with all the wonderful things I got to do!

      Delete